This page provides tools and resources for UCL staff for use in supporting Student Academic Representation practice.
Guidance and Information
Online Submission Guidance
Returning Academic Rep details is now submitted online through the Union website. This should be submitted by programme and department staff. Please ensure you have the student’s Full Name and UCL email address available for the SSCC they are joining. This is all of the information required to return your reps.
Below is a short video demonstrating how to add the reps online. Please note this is an outdated video, as we have recently upgraded our website. The process of adding Reps is still similar though, even though the platform might look slightly different. For staff resources please refer to the current page you are on (NOT studentsunionucl.org/reps as mentioned in the video).
The returns data will automatically publish reps on the ‘Find Your Rep’ webpage so students and staff can find who the academic reps are in their department and Faculty as soon as they are returned. Department and Faculty colleagues can also use this to see which reps have been returned.
This streamlined approach should reduce the workload for staff and provide an easier way to check which reps have been returned. If you have any questions or comments please get in touch with us at email@example.com
Staff Checklist 2021
Staff Guide to Student Academic Representation 2021-22
The Staff Guide provides information and guidance on the practicalities of Student Academic Representation. It sets out in detail what is required, but also provides guidance on improving and enhancing student representation.
Student Academic Representation Benchmarking Tool
This benchmarking tool helps to identify the progress being made on developing student academic representation at both a local and an institutional level.
SSCC Staff Community on Microsoft Teams
Join the SSCC Staff Community on Microsoft Teams, this is open for all staff who are involved in their SSCC in particular the staff co-chair and secretary - Join
Staff Workshop Resources
InEDITA Effective Staff Student Consultative Committees: Policy and Practice Workshop
Academic Manual Guidance
Section 6: Student Academic Representation - Link
SSCC Agenda and Minutes Template (Please search for Annex 9.6.1) - Link
SSCC Co-Chair Guide
In line with UCL's Temporary Operating Mode, many departments will have to move their SSCCs to a virtual platform. Even prior to this, some departments had expressed a desire to engage remotely with their Academic Reps who cannot attend meetings in-person.
We make available a variety of resources which you can use to help promote Student Academic Representation within your department.
Rep Elections 2021 Resources
Digital Screen Advertisement
Email Signature Banner
Our promotional video outlines the key benefits to being a Course or Research Student Representative and what is involved. Its less than 5 minutes long, and prompts the department or programme to briefly outline how representatives will be appointed locally - Youtube link / Download link
Faculty Rep Opportunity Template Email
These role descriptors are aimed at both students and staff, highlighting key responsibilities and the time commitment required for each Academic Representative role.
We recommend use of Opinio for electing representatives electronically. You can find out more about using Opinio using UCL ISD's extensive guidance available here. Alternatively, the Choice Module in Moodle is also suitable for this purpose.
For Paper Ballots
- Student Priorities for Education Report - an in-depth analysis of the priorities students discussed across with staff in their departments and SSCCs, with recommendations relevant to departments, faculties, and UCL as a whole.
- Student Priorities for Wellbeing Report - an analysis of the priorities students have told us about their physical, social and mental wellbeing, with recommendations for the Union and UCL.
- What do students value most Report - an analysis of all of the student nominations we receive for the Student Choice Awards and summarised into practice that students valued most for each category of award.
- Academic Representation Annual Reports - our annual report on progress with developing effective academic representation at UCL.
- SSCCs: Trends in Student Feedback 2017-18 - an analysis of the trends arising from discussions across all UCL SSCCs in 2017-18, with recommendations relevant to departments, faculties, and UCL as a whole.
Have a question? Get in touch.